The Dean’s Staff is here to support all students. This team is comprised of the dean of students, two associate deans, three assistant deans, and an administrative manager.
General Support / Advice
Our staff is here to provide support and advice when life throws you a curve. If you are having difficulty in your personal or academic life, we are here to assist you in finding the appropriate resources to help. Our list of common concerns for students may provide you an immediate answer to some common questions.
Verify Class Absence
I had a family emergency and had to go home and miss class, whom would I contact for an excuse?
- Stop by or call Dean's Staff at 540-231-3787.
I had to miss class because of a death in the family and my professor told me to contact you for an absence verification note. What do I need to do?
- You will need to come to the Dean’s Staff office with documentation. We accept the obituary from the newspaper, a letter from the funeral home on their letterhead, or the program or Mass card from the funeral. You will need to fill out a form at our office, and we will notify your college, who in turn will notify your professors.
I’m sick and need to miss class, whom should I contact?
- Schiffert Health Center at 540-231-6444 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Schiffert Health Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, and Saturday 9:00 a.m. - Noon. For after hours concerns, call the Schiffert Health Center Advice Nurse at 540-231-6444. If it is an emergency please call 911 or go to the closest medical facility.
I was sick and missed class. I did not go to Schiffert but did go to a doctor locally. My professor wants a note from your office. What do I need to do?
- You will need to come to the Dean’s Staff office and bring documentation from the doctor. We will need a letter from the doctor’s office stating you were there on a certain date. We do not need to know why you were there. You will fill out a form in our office, and we can notify your college, who will in turn notify your professors.
I had to miss class because of a religious holiday. Is this an absence that can be verified with my faculty?
- The Dean’s Staff office does not verify absences related to religious and ethnic holidays. Consistent with the university’s tradition of religious tolerance, faculty and staff are encouraged to be sensitive to students who wish to observe religious and ethnic holidays. It is the student’s responsibility to request and provide justification for a religious accommodation, preferably during the first two weeks of classes or as soon as the student becomes aware of the need for an accommodation. Faculty members are not required to compromise the academic integrity of the course to accommodate religious practices, thus, accommodations for religious practices will be determined by the faculty and will be consistent with their attendance policy.
Crisis / Emergency Response
A member of the Dean‘s Staff office staff is on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Additionally, staff from Cook Counseling Center, and Housing and Residence Life are also on-call during the same hours.
In casses of emergency between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., call 540-231-3787. After hours, the on-call staff member from Dean's Staff may be reached by calling the Virginia Tech Police at 540-231-6411
Counsel and Referral
Our staff is trained to help you determine the appropriate course of action if you have a crisis, need medical care, or just need to talk. If you need services that we are unable to provide we will refer you to professionals that can help.
Student Conduct Referral Advising
Call the Dean’s Staff office at 231-3787 to schedule an appointment.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed during all university closures.
If you need to reach a Dean’s Staff administrator after business hours, on weekends or during breaks or closures, contact the Virginia Tech Police at 540-382-4343 (non-emergency number) and they will connect you with the administrator on-call.
Dean’s Staff Team
Tom Brown | Dean of Students
Tonya Windsor | Administrative Manager
Teresa “Tess” Blethyn | Case Manager
Tara Frank | Assistant Dean
Bruce Hayden | Assistant Dean
Anthony Scott | Associate Dean
Kelley Woods-Johnson | Assistant Dean